SUMMARY: Provides dental screenings, referrals and oral hygiene education in the community through health fairs and partner agencies.
The RDH will understand and model the mission of NSO. The RDH will understand and practice NSO’s policy on confidentiality in respect to all NSO information. The RDH will exhibit professional behavior in all facets of work at NSO. The RDH will exhibit teamwork with all NSO staff.
- Provides dental screenings, referrals and oral hygiene education for the community 2 days per week, up to 16 hours per week.
- Track outreach goals and outcomes. Reports outcomes to Dental Clinic Manager.
- Creates and implements lessons for dental hygiene education classes.
- Travel is required 25% of the time, occasional overnight travel is required.
- Attendance of community outreach programs such as health fairs and community health events
- Weekend and evening hours are required, to allow availability for community health events
- Work closely with partner agencies and agencies within the community
- Have a high level of social contact
- May fill in for Clinical RDH occasionally
- Patient screening procedures; such as assessment of oral health conditions, review of the health history, oral cancer screening, head and neck inspection, dental charting, periodontal charting, taking blood pressure and pulse
- Knowledge of Eaglesoft software preferred
- Removing calculus and plaque (hard and soft deposits) from all surfaces of the teeth, under the supervision of a dentist
- Taking digital radiographs using snap-a-ray positioners (x-rays)
- Applying preventive materials to the teeth (e.g., sealants and fluorides)
- Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health; (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- Counseling patients about good nutrition and its impact on oral health
- Making impressions of patients' teeth for study casts (models of teeth used by dentists to evaluate patient treatment needs)
- Documents dental history and chief complaint if any, and reports pertinent observations and patient reactions to dentist and dental team as appropriate; documents lab procedures and ensures follow up on results.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene.
- Current licensure as a Registered Dental Hygienist in the State of Oklahoma.
- Local Anesthetic Certification preferred
- Must possess a valid Healthcare Provider CPR certification
- One to three years’ experience preferred
- Must have valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- Clearance of background check and drug screen
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Requires clear, oral, and written communication skills.
- Requires patience when assisting population served.
- Requires the ability to work independently as well as with a team.
- Includes exposure to contaminants, radiation, and disease or infections.
- Requires flexibility. Days vary based on outreach events.
- Up to 16 hours per week.
- Travel required 25%.
- Occasional nights and weekends.
NSO provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.